Applying for Social Security for a child with a disability
Here is a great resource in helping understand if you should apply for Social Security for your child with a disability: Benefits for Children with Disabilities
Steps to Apply
- REVIEW the Child Disability Starter Kit. (see links below) This kit answers common questions about applying for Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits for children, and includes a worksheet that will help you gather the information you need.
- CONTACT Social Security right away to find out whether the income and resources of the parents and the child are within the allowed limits, and to start the SSI application process.
- FILL OUT the online Child Disability Report. At the end of the report, we will ask you to sign a form that gives the child’s doctor(s) permission to give us information about his/her disability. We need this information so that we can make a decision on the child’s claim.
Documents you may need to provide
We may ask you to provide documents to determine if you may be eligible for benefits for having the child in your care:
- Your birth certificate or other proof of birth;
- The child’s birth certificate or other proof of birth or adoption;
- Your proof of marriage if you are or were married to the worker;
- Proof of U.S. citizenship or lawful alien status if you were not born in the United States [More Info];
- U.S. military discharge paper(s); and
- W-2 forms(s) and/or self-employment tax returns for last year.
SSI Child Disability Starter Kit (for children under age 18)
“What You Should Know Before You Apply for SSI Disability Benefits for Your Child”
The fact sheet answers frequently asked questions about applying for SSI child disability benefits. It includes the definition of disability for children under age 18, information about the SSI program, and other important information about state and local medical assistance. It provides a link to the online Child Disability Report.
“Checklist – Child Disability Interview ”
This is a list of information and documents for your child that you will need for the disability interview or to complete the Child Disability Report on the Internet.
“Medical and School Worksheet – Child.”
The worksheet can help you to prepare for the disability interview or complete the Child Disability Report on the Internet. It lists the information that we will ask you about your child and provides space to write down this information.
If you use the Child Disability Report on the Internet, you will type your Worksheet information directly into the report.
- You can review and print the complete Child Disability Report at: www.socialsecurity.gov/disability/ssa-3820.pdf (pdf file)