Keeping It Real: How to Get the Support You Need…
Keeping It Real: How to Get the Support You Need for the Life You Want curriculum was developed by the Elizabeth M. Boggs Center, and was written by Kathy Roberson, M.S.W., Rick Blumberg, Ph.D., and Dan Baker, Ph.D. This curriculum is available in both English and Spanish. You may download the entire workbook or just the sections you need. (Don’t miss the helpful Budgeting Basics link at the very bottom!)
The workbook is comprised of the following sections:
- Cover page and table of contents
- Chapter 1: Introduction: gives a brief introduction to the curriculum.
- Chapter 2: List of Activities in Each Chapter: gives a detailed list of the concepts and activities in each chapter. It is meant to be help students and teachers decide what activities are most relevant to an individual student.
- Chapter 3: So what’s all this talk about “transition?”: gives an overview of transition, and why it is critically important that students be involved in planning for their life after high school.
- Chapter 4: Understanding Myself: gives students some tools for knowing themselves better – their likes and dislikes, strengths and challenges, learning styles, and disabilities.
- Chapter 5: Understanding Supports: 5 introduces students to different types of supports – natural, community, formal and assistive technology.
- Chapter 6: Employment and Careers: gives students an opportunity to apply what they’ve learned about themselves and supports to Employment and Career goals.
- Chapter 7: Post-secondary Education and Training: gives students an opportunity to apply what they’ve learned about themselves and supports to Post-secondary Education and Training goals.
- Chapter 8: Living Arrangements: gives students an opportunity to apply what they’ve learned about themselves and supports to Living Arrangement goals.
- Chapter 9: Recreation and Leisure: gives students an opportunity to apply what they’ve learned about themselves and supports to Recreation and Leisure goals.
- Chapter 10: Moving Forward: gives students a chance to acknowledge and celebrate what they’ve learned.
- Chapter 11: Resources: while not intended to be a comprehensive guide, Chapter 11 is included to give students a place to start as they look for supports that might be helpful to them.
- Chapter 12: Worksheets: provides a number of different worksheets to help students break down the process of getting and evaluating their supports into more manageable steps.
- Parents’ Module: The Parents’ Module is meant to give parents the information they need to help their children get the supports they need to reach their adult goals.
- Teacher’s Guide: The Teacher’s Guide was developed to help teachers understand how the curriculum can be modified for different learning styles, abilities and interests. Links between the curriculum and the New Jersey ‘s Core Curriculum Content Standards are included, as well as a bibliography of related resources.
- Budgeting Basics: This companion guide teaches students basic skills for managing their own money. It is only available as a PDF file for downloading and printing